Total Pageviews

Saturday 13 October 2012

Long Haul for a Hall (Typewriter)

A very delighted (and relieved) me clutching my "new" 130-year-old Salem Hall typewriter outside Museum Victoria's ScienceWorks at Spotswood in Melbourne this morning. This glorious typewriter is now safely ensconced back in Canberra, 420 miles (676km) north of where it had lived for more than 100 years. The Hall had been gifted to Museum Victoria by Chartres sometime back at the turn of the (20th) century. It is now part of the Australian Typewriter Museum.
My Hall is in the same condition as this one, sans the pointer. Also, mine has the top plate, margin rail and paper grip painted black. and the brass nameplate on top. Exactly like this:
Typed on a 1920s Bijou portable typewriter using its original blue ribbon.
Wallace and Gromit give me the thumbs up as I drive away from ScienceWorks in Melbourne today, with my haul of a Salem Hall, a Remington 7, a Remington 16 and a Smith Premier 10A.

3 comments:

Scott K said...

REmington 7 hey....... I like that sound of that machine.

Scott K said...

Sounds like you've had a magnificent time though! A HALL! what a special... and interesting machine! Hope to see some great photos of it soon.

Did you happen to stop by and punch Ahmed in the nose while you were there?

Bill M said...

Congratulations on the Hall. Seems you had a very good trip.